Groundspeak fired two controversial Ontario Canada Reviewers

Yesterday Groundspeak fired two controversial German Reviewers

Care to give us, outsiders, a bit of context? Why did they get fired? Why where they controversial? etc...


There's nothing on the German-language Groundspeak forums that I can see, but that's not surprising (for a few reasons).

Must have been something huge. But how does one "fire" a volunteer? And why would the person being removed be "asked" anything? I suspect there's a bit of a he-said/she-said going on here, or some other kind of situation where someone did something they shouldn't have, but didn't understand that they weren't supposed to do (or didn't understand that they were required to do something that they didn't do).


It's probably something as simple as stating "We no longer require your services" and banning their reviewer accounts


I understand the concept of relieving them of duty/revoking reviewer privileges for their account(s), it's the word "fire" that triggered for me. That implies a paid position to me.

Could just be a language/translation barrier, since the original was
German.



Ahh, I understand what you mean now.

I personally cannot think of a graceful way to indicate "Groundspeak terminated the services of the volunteer reviewers" though.

"Fired" is the best I can think of.
 

If it's Groundspeak making a public announcement (which it's not), they either say nothing, or just state "XYZ is no longer a reviewer." The contents of any emails, etc. are between Groundspeak & the ex-reviewer, but I imagine it would be short, simple and to the point with very little that can be used out of context or interpreted in "creative" ways.

If it's the terminated reviewer making the statement (which it is), I guess he can use whatever words he wishes.


Thanks for rephrasing that. Your translation is much better than mine!


The team's website seems very casual about it: http://www.gc-reviewer.de/

    Die Kollegen d4rkm00n, 2 und Fritz-aus-Bayern sind nicht mehr als Reviewer tätig. Wir danken allen Drei für die Unterstützung und wünschen alles Gute!

which roughly translates to

    Our colleges d4rkm00n, 2 and Fritz-aus-Bayern are no longer active as reviewer. We thank all three of them for their support and wish them well.

Also, "reviewer2" seems to have been inactive as a reviewer since June 30th:

    Aus persönlichen Gründen stehe ich bis auf weiteres nicht als Reviewer zur Verfügung. Bitte wendet euch an meine Kollegen: gc-reviewer.de

translation:

    For personal reasons, I stand until further notice as a reviewer not available. Please turn you to my colleagues: gc reviewer.de

I can't go in to too many details (mostly because I don't know them) but I do know that this wasn't a Groundspeak-only decision. Other reviewers were aware and a part of the decision.



Is there any way we can learn the general reasons behind this?

The reason I ask for this isn't because I'm nosy, but we've all run into reviewers making questionable calls - if such a thing was going on here, we would know that you guys are actively dealing with problematic reviewers.

The reviewer him / her self seems to think this came out of the blue: https://twitter.com/reviewer2/status/396067630370803712

Thanks for dropping by either way :)


I'm going to respect the privacy of the situation, however, I will say that when complaints against reviewers are made, our Volunteer Coordinator team does investigate. They also take steps to make sure that things like this happen very few and far between, including coaching and talking to them.


Thank you.


No prob.



Nope.



If you understand a little german maybe this links bring a little light in this whole thing:

http://forum.geoclub.de/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=67575&hilit=fritz+aus+bayern

and here

http://blog.dafb-o.de/wenn-vertrauen-missbraucht-wird/

but this are only two small examples of things that went somehow wrong ...



It keeps surprising me how much drama has come to Geocaching in recent years. Thank you for these links, I'm able to understand German :)

It seems the more time I spend on Geocaching-related communities the more I'm aware of drama that surrounds them. I had no idea things like this were going on when I didn't bother with the various Geocaching forums. Ignorance is bliss I guess!



While I've tried, with minimal success, to get my friends into geocaching, I must say I love the solitude of it. The concept of allowing drama to infect it just makes me sad. Thankfully I've experienced none whatsoever in my area.



me too. i cant even imagine what kind of problems people are having.



Since I've plunged myself into premium membership and actively caching whenever I have a free moment, I've run into:

    Cachers stealing or destroying geocaches for various reasons (They don't like the container, they don't like the location, they don't like the cache owner... you name it, preschool playground reasons)

    Cachers intentionally posting invalid "need maintainance" reports, same reasons as above.

    Cache owners responding very poorly to valid maintenance requests.

It's very much what /u/ScatterMyCaches said though, putting enough people together is bound to cause some drama. I've since stopped diving all too deep into these things.

Just going out there, enjoy the outdoors aspect of the game - let the angry typists have their fun :)



"Recent years"

The drama was one thing that made me quit almost a decade ago. This is nothing new, people cycle in and out of the hobby constantly but the bitching in the forums never stops.

If you want to really enjoy yourself, go find some caches and stay off the boards.


When you get over 6 million people together, there's bound to be drama. Hmmm....Sounds like a reality TV show.


Sad but true! A lot of the community forgot about that it's supposed to be fun!



That makes no sense at all. You pulled threads and comments from years ago? I would doubt that this had anything to do with something happening today.



Not asking about particulars of this case, but if Groundspeak doesn't select and fire the volunteer reviewers, who does?


We do select and, in rare cases, release volunteer reviewers.

No comments:

Post a Comment